The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Artists and their art - Alfonso Castillo Orta and family

The family of Alfonso Castillo Orta from Izuca de Matamoros, Puebla is quite famous and their pieces are very highly regarded and valued. Don Alfonso died in 2009, but his large family continues the work. In fact, they have been producing fine ceramics for six generations. Their work can be found in museums and collections all around the world. Their ornate skulls are signature pieces.

 They come in many forms.
 These are for sale at La Mano Magica in case you are interested.
Don Alfonso was renown for his Arboles de Vida or Trees of Life, which come in many forms.
 Love the kitchen in this variation.
As a part of Arnulfo Mendoza's ongoing project, I was lucky to be afforded the opportunity to shoot some photos of Martha Hernández Baez, Don Alfonso's longtime partner and some of their remarkable ceramic pieces.
Unfortunately, I did not get the names of her two companions, who I'm guessing have to be family.

The tradition continues.

1 comment:

sonya melescu said...

I do LOVE this man's work.